Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Glowing Skin

The winter months can be harsh on skin. Dry weather and lack of sunshine can leave your skin feeling dull. Here are a few tips for refreshing your look.


Exfoliate

Exfoliating a few times a week is very important. It's the one step I never skip.  It gets rid of all the dead skin and rejuvenates your complexion. Some other benefits are improved skin texture, reduction in pore size, delaying signs of aging and better absorption for your following skin care products. One of my favorite tools for exfoliating my skin is the Clarisonic Mia 2. I use it every other day with a gentle cleanser and it leaves my skin feeling smooth and bright. You have the option of different brushes for sensitive skin/more intense exfoliation depending on your skin type. 


This guy is a little pricey so if you don't want to shell out the money there are plenty of other options. A face scrub should have an exfoliating component to it that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Just be careful with the one you choose. Research has found that plastic micro beads found in cleansing products are too small to be filtered out by water treatment plants and have been building up in lakes and recycled back into our drinking water. Look for options that use all natural exfoliants like sugars, salts, coffee, almonds or oats. I've tried many of these and my favorite one at the moment is Ole Henriksens Walnut Complexion Scrub.



Making your own scrub is always an option too. You can mix together about 1tsp organic cane sugar, 1-2 drops of water and 1-2 drops of lemon, lavender or manuka honey essential oils to save yourself some money. 


Moisturize

Moisturizing is also a key step to getting bright and glowing skin. There are about a billion options out there for face and body moisturizers and I've probably tried half of those. I find that the older I get the more I need something more intense. Face Oils such as Argan, Jojoba and Coconut are all ingredients I look for when choosing a moisturizer. Josie Maran and Tata Harper both make great face oils that absorb well and don't leave you feeling greasy. 





A lot of face oils don't contain any SPF so make sure to follow up with a good one. The key to keeping those wrinkles at bay is wearing SPF daily. I've said it before but the way I treated my skin when I was in high school and early college makes me cringe. I never wore sunscreen and loved being tan. Undoing all the damage is not easy and I wish I had someone tell me that I would seriously regret sunbathing in the future. I use Rodan and Fields Reverse Skincare system broad spectrum SPF 50 daily. I think you have to purchase this through someone that sells Rodan and Fields and I have a awesome girl I use if you are interested. 

Light Makeup

One of the things I love most about spring and summer is not having to wear a lot of makeup. Now that your skin is fresh and glowing from your exfoliating and moisturizing routine add a tinted moisturizer and a little bronzer and you are good to go. My sister taught me a trick about adding a few drops of Nars illumentaor to your tinted moisturizer to give you a fresh glow. I use Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer and Nars illuminator in the color Orgasm. 





Having a good skin care routine is the key to aging gracefully. Take care of yourself and remember that its never too late to start. Leave me a comment on any products you use that you swear by!


No comments:

Post a Comment